BARBEQUE ON BUNS (Sloppy Joes) Serves approx 18 BBQ
Ingredients: 3# ground beef ¾ cup onion-diced ¾ cup celery diced ¾ cup water 3TBS brown sugar 3TBS vinegar 20 oz ketchup (approximate)
1. Brown the beef in a pan and drain the fat, put meat in crockpot 2. Add all other ingredients and mix well. 3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours. Serve on buns
MEAT LOAF Serves 10-12 (depends how thick you slice it)
Ingredients: 3# lean ground beef 1 cup milk * 1 tsp salt 1 tsp dry ground mustard 1/2tsp black pepper 1 tsp garlic powder 2 eggs 1 large onion-finely diced 1 cup ketchup (save ½ to spread on top of loaves) 1 ½ cup oatmeal (*gluten free omit oatmeal & use 1 cup INSTANT rice and increase milk to 2 cups not 1)
1. Mix all ingredients really well and shape into 2 loaves. 2. Using large crockpot …line with foil and spray foil with cooking spray. 3. Place loaves into crockpot with a little space between them, spread tops with ketchup. 4. Bake 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. 5. Remove to platter and slice and serve.
BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP Serves 8-10
INGREDIENTS: 48 oz Tomato Juice 16 oz Beef broth (or chicken broth) 1.5 pounds ground beef 1 medium onion 1 Tablespoon garlic powder 2 TBSs marjoram 1 bag frozen soup vegetables Brown beef with onion. Place in slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Cook on low, 8 hours.
UN-STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS (serve with rice) Serves 10-12
INGREDIENTS: 3# ground beef 1 large onion 1 cup shredded carrots 3 cloves garlic-minced 2, 28 oz cans tomatoes 1 cup tomato paste ½ cup packed brown sugar ¼ cup cider vinegar 1 large head of cabbage- cut in cubes 1tsp salt 1tsp black pepper
1. Brown ground beef in fry pan and drain, put in large crockpot. 2. Add all other ingredients and stir well. 3. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
Rice-approx 9 cups cooked 3 cups rice 6 cups water 1. Put Rice and water in a big pan so it wont boil over. 2. Bring to a boil, then turn way down to a simmer. 3. If white rice-cook on LOW Heat 15 minutes then shut off DO NOT OPEN LID. Rice will absorb the rest of the water (about 5 MINUTES) 4. If Brown Rice it takes 30 minutes of cooking on LOW the shut off and let stand 5 minutes… OR follow the directions on the bag.
SHREDDED MEAT (served on buns) Serves 10-12 (Can buy an inexpensive cut of meat and make a yummy main dish!)
Ingredients: 3 Pounds of ANY boneless meat-trim fat but can leave a bit for flavor if you like- cut into 4-6 pieces. 1TBS garlic powder 1TBS onion powder 1tsp salt 1tsp black pepper add any other favorite seasonings
1. Mix all seasonings in bag and shake the meat in the bag of seasonings coating it well. 2. Spray or oil the crockpot and add the meat. 3. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours…shred and serve on buns. *can add beef/chicken/vegetable broth or BBQ sauce and serve on buns*
LASAGNA Serves 10-12
Ingredients: 3# ground beef 1 large onion-dice4 cloves garlic -minced 4 eggs 2, 15 oz containers ricotta cheese 6 cups Mozzarella cheese – grated 1 cup parmesan-grated 2, 29 oz cans tomato sauce 2, 6oz cans tomato paste 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, parsley 1TBS sugar 2, 12 oz boxes of lasagna noodles-any brand-doesn’t have to be no-cook kind-can be regular.
1. Brown ground beef with onion & garlic in large fry pan, drain fat and set aside. 2. Mix together the eggs, ricotta, parmesan and 5cups of the mozzarella (saving 1 cup to put on top of last layer to melt just before serving). 3. In a large bowl, mix tomato sauce, tomato paste, spices and sugar-add meat. 4. Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray or wipe with small amount of oil. 5. Start with a thin layer of meat sauce, then a layer of noodles (break noodles to fit the cooker), then a layer of cheese (may have to plop small amounts if it is too thick to really spread it out-it will spread as it gets squished by next layer and cooks)-then repeat…sauce–noodles-cheese-sauce-noodles –cheese- sauce…end with sauce and make sure noodles are covered. 6. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. 7. Just before serving sprinkle last cup of mozzarella cheese on top to melt.
Pine Ridge Reconciliation Center
51 East Highway 18 PO Box 862 Pine Ridge, SD 57770 Phone: 605-867-5262